Thursday, February 10, 2011

BEEF...it's what's for dinner!!!

I know I've been M.I.A. for a while, but work, life, and work have been getting in the way...did I mention work?  Anyway, it hasn't stopped me from cooking for my honey, just kept me from staying glued to the computer so much!!
If my husband and I could survive solely on protein, I think we would...oh, and potatoes....meat and taters kind of people, that's us!!  We thought we knew good meat and we thought we were eating good, UNTIL, I ran across a recipe for a beef tenderloin.  Ohhh myyyy...we didn't know what we had been missing all these years!!  This is a Pioneer Woman recipe.  She is the best, and I have come to completely admire her and just plain want to be her!  So, on with the recipe...

Heat the oven to 475.  Start with a whole beef tenderloin (about 4-5 lbs).  I get mine at Sam's.  Trim the fat and the "silvery" cartilage that is sometimes between the fat and the meat.  Season the meat with plenty of seasoned salt (Lawry's, Tony's, or TexJoy...whatever your favorite may be) and lemon pepper.  Remember, be liberal with the seasoning.  Heat just enough oil (canola, vegetable, or olive) to cover the bottom of the skillet until it is at its smoking point and sear the meat in the oil on both sides.  Place about 1/3 cup of whole peppercorns in a ziploc bag.  On a cutting board, beat the peppercorns with a mallet or hammer until they are crushed.  Once the meat is seared on both sides (this only takes about 45 seconds per side), remove from oil and press crushed peppercorns on both sides of meat. Top meat with 4-5 tablespoons of butter. Place tenderloin on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes,  internal temperature should reach just under 140 degrees.  Slice and enjoy!!!  Tastes delicious with any kind of potato, of course :)

4 comments:

  1. This makes my mouth water just looking at it.
    I meant to tell you that it was delicious last night when we made it for dad's birthday. I don't know if I can eat any other type of beef now!! We made it with P-dub's Rosemary Potatoes....Oh My SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! I'm not too much of a beef person but I'm branching out, my husband would love this - can't wait to try it out! p.s. i love that dress you have on, super cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Randi!!! I would like to mention that I got that dress for $20 (originally over $100)...I love getting a steal like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a steal!! very exciting...i still plan on making a trip one day to that awesome little boutique in Center that Anna gets all of her cute clothes from!

    ReplyDelete