Monday, July 25, 2011

Puerto Vallarta came to Texas...Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp topped with Pineapple and Cheese

My husband and I were so lucky to be able to accompany our friends on an awesome vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  We stayed at a house on the beach that came with a cook, a maid, and 2 houseboys!!  We were so spoiled while we were there!  We went to a little local restaurant just down from our house that was outstanding.  The food was fresh, seasoned just right, and CHEAP!  We couldn't get over the fact that we could have a shrimp dinner for $12!  And, it came with FREE dessert!  So, of course, I find my favorite meal there and I have to go talk to the chef about the recipe.  There was a slight language barrier, but I got the jist of it.  I made the dish Saturday night for my family and they loved it just as much.  Here's whatcha do:

I used about 50 large (large is important because they shrink when cooking) shrimp...this just depends on how many you are cooking for.  Wrap 1/2 slice of bacon (thin bacon) around each shrimp.  Sprinkle with Tony's and grill until the bacon is done.  While that's grilling, take a fresh pineapple and cube it.  Put the cubes in a food processor and turn it to mush!  Put the mushy, fresh pineapple in the skillet, add about 1/2 cup Brandy, and sprinkle the top with cinnamon.  Simmer for about 10 minutes. While that's simmering, shred 16 oz block of Colby-Jack cheese. Place the cooked bacon-wrapped shrimp in a casserole dish.  Spread the pineapple mixture over the shrimp.  Sprinkle cheese over mixture.  Place in 400 decree oven for about 7 minutes.  Serve and enjoy all the smiles and praise you will receive!

The pineapple/brandy/cinnamon mixture


The final product.  Sorry it's hard to see for all the yummy cheese!!!


FYI: This dish can be a lengthy process.  I would suggest prepping in advance. 

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow that looks delicious! What an interesting combo. I will try this.
    How did you post those pics with the words under them like that? I haven't figured out how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had so much fun with yall! I'm glad u tried it first...now I know what to do. I'm gonna make it this weekend. I'll let ya know how it turns out! Can't wait to come visit n get the "salty water click" together again! Jen

    ReplyDelete