Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Chicken & Dumplings...finally mastered!!

My husband's dad makes the best chicken and dumplings!  So obviously, I wanted to master the recipe.  I tried making them a long time ago and failed, so I've been a little cautious ever since.  I've been craving them, so I thought I'd give it another go. They turned out fabulous and were pretty simple. Try it out!

Boil 1 whole chicken (some people boil just chicken breasts, but I think you get so much more flavor from the whole chicken). De-bone the chicken and tear apart into small pieces. Save the broth. Chop 1 bell pepper, 1 medium onion, and 3 stalks of celery. Add 32 oz of chicken broth to the original broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, and 1 can of water (using the cream of chicken can). Bring to a boil. Add the veggies. Take 3 cans of cheap biscuits and press flat with your hands.  Cut into fourths (I used a pizza slicer). Coat each individual biscuit fourth with flour and drop into the boiling mixture one at a time...if you just throw in a bunch of biscuits at the same time, they could get all stuck together and cause a mess. You're going to think you have way too many biscuits, but it'll be fine!!  Then add the chicken. Try to stir gently and as little as possible. Add salt (easy with the salt due to the chicken broth and cream soup), black pepper, and garlic powder. I also added 1 1/2 sticks of butter for a wonderful, rich flavor. Boil/simmer for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Enjoy!

Definite husband pleaser!


No comments:

Post a Comment