Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chicken and Veggie Chowder

Apparently I take after my grandmother, Mamie, by never following a recipe!  I found a recipe for Corn and Potato Chowder on Pinterest, but I totally changed it up to make it my own.  It was easy and delicious, I must say so myself...but so did the hubs.  Even though it has chicken and corn in it (not his faves), he loved it!

First, I baked 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which I had seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder...cut into cubes when done. Then saute 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped green bell pepper, and minced garlic in 1 stick of butter. I used the jarred minced garlic,  but you could use fresh. Then add some chopped baby carrots to the mix. Throw in about 2 tbsp of flour. Add about 5-6 cups chicken broth, bring to boil. Add a bay leaf, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley flakes (or fresh). Cut up cream cheese into cubes and add to the broth mixture. Once the cream cheese is pretty much melted into the mix, add about 2 cups heavy whipping cream. Now add frozen broccoli, corn, and chicken. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Serve with shredded cheese on top and more parsley if you like...mainly for looks.
I served cheesy toast on the side. I used leftover hamburger buns. Spread them with butter and sprinkle garlic powder. Add mozzerella, parmesan, and cheddar cheeses, broil in oven for about 3-5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment