Saturday, October 9, 2010

I'm new to all this blogin' business!

I'm new to the blogging world, but I do love to follow my friend, Anna's, blog regularly and she has been telling me that it's time that I start a blog!  I'm not sure my life is interesting enough to follow, but something Anna and I have in common is our love of food and cooking and we're not afraid to try new recipes or new foods, so that will probably be the subject of most posts.  One of my pet peeves is when someone will not try a new food!!!  Or if they do, they just barely touch their tongue to it.  Now, I'm not talking about some weird, ridiculous food like pig ears  (which, I know some people eat those around here), but I just mean something outside of their comfort zone....and my husband is one of those "pets" I'm talking about!!  ;)   Anyway, that's for another blog.  My husband likes to tell people that he married me for my cooking and to his advantage, I LOVE to cook and eat!  Hey, I majored in FOOD in college (twice!) ...literally got 2 degrees in FOOD!!  This morning we were watching Man V. Food and a restaurant is making bacon wrapped tater tots & jalapenos fried and covered in cheese!!!  This sounded right up our alley...now, I may be a Dietitian, but that doesn't mean I can't eat something YUMMY once in a while!!!  We Texans love us some fried food....especially if it's wrapped in bacon!!  So, I had to make a mad dash to the store and grab some tater tots and fry up some of these babies.  Ohhhh, they were delicious!  I call them, "Redneck Sushi Rolls!"  Try them out sometime...great for an appetizer or a game day snack!  If you really want to add on a few more calories and goodness, dip them in Ranch dressing. 
Use the thick cut bacon and cut them in half
Pickled, sliced jalapenos
Frozen tater tots---let them thaw out a little bit
Canola Oil
Shredded cheddar cheese
Just lay out the bacon and roll up the tater tot and jalapeno in the bacon and stick a toothpick in it, heat up the oil and deep fry until the bacon is golden brown, remove from oil and add cheese.  Let cool, ENJOY!





5 comments:

  1. YES! you started a blog! I am so excited. These things looks absolutely amazing! I mean FRIED BACON, jalapeno, tater tot and cheese. I have been debating on going to the State Fair this month but now I know I'll just make my own crazy fried food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming over from Anna's blog to say "welcome to the blog world!!!"
    I also love to cook and try all kinds of new things, however, just like you said, my hubby is one of those who stays with the safe foods, which does drive me crazy a lot of the time. But I got to love him anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look incredible! And I love your name for them. I wish I had some of those for lunch right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! I found your blog through Anna's blog! I'm excited to hear all about your adventures in cooking! I love to cook too and am always looking for creative and healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear about more recipes...anna talks about you all the time, hopefully we can meet one day! what a cute wedding pic!

    Randi

    ReplyDelete