Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mom's Birthday Dinner

My mom's birthday was last week, so she and my dad came over last night for dinner.  It was so good to see them.  Dad hung out with Justin in the garage while Justin was re-painting his duck decoys...this has been a big project for him and he swears it's really gonna fool the ducks into flying straight to him.  I sure hope he's right because I can't wait for some Bacon-wrapped Duck Breasts!!!  I'll share that recipe later when he brings home the goods!  Mom and I hung out in the kitchen and caught up on some cussin' and discussin' (that's a term I stole from Anna's dad, Danny Paul)!  For an appetizer, I made a sausage bread loaf...this is similar to the one I ate at Anna's house last weekend and haven't been able to stop thinking about it!  YUM!!  So, what I did was chop up 1 small onion and 1 green bell pepper and throw it into the pan with 1 pound of hot breakfast sausage and scramble it all up until cooked through.  Next, I rolled out a Pilsbury French Bread loaf from the biscuit section at the grocery store.  Then, i spread cream cheese over the bread dough, sprinkled the sausage/onion/bell pepper mixture over that, then topped with shredded cheddar cheese.  Pull the dough up on all four sides and press together to make a pocket.  Then bake as directed on the bread can.   I think it would also be delicious with some pickled jalapenos inside!  Anyway, I'm still getting used to blogging, so I forgot to take pics of the final product until we only had one piece left!!!

For the main course, we grilled some awesome steaks and I made Homemade Fried Rice because they had not tried it yet.  It was a HIT!!  I used the same recipe as before, but this time I added fresh broccoli and fresh mushrooms...mmm mm mmm!


Although everyone enjoyed the appetizer and main course, the dessert was everyone's FAVORITE!!! This is the link for the recipe for the Great Pumpkin Cake.





2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness the cake turned out SO cute. That bread makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
    I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that cake...I'm looking for an excuse to try it out. And that bread....there are no words!!

    ReplyDelete