Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

If you're from the East Texas area, then you know what Canton is!!  For those of you that aren't from around here, Canton is a trade days, "flea market", type event that takes place the weekend of the first Monday every month in Canton, Texas.  Don't let "flea market" fool you...Canton is acres of many, many, many stores, boutiques, and individuals coming together to sell their goods and creations.  Much of it is homemade. You will walk up and have no idea where to begin, it can be quite overwhelming!!
Now, a little bit more about me....if I see something that I think I can make instead of buy, I will certainly try to.  I always figure that you can make things cheaper than buying it from a store or boutique, right??  Well, when Mom and I went to Canton in October I saw a Christmas tree made completely of Christmas ball ornaments and they wanted $80 for it...and while I debated on buying it, the frugalness came out it me and I decided I could make it myself for so much less!  So to Hobby Lobby I went (I believe I've said that before)!!  I bought a metal topiary for the base, and wire, and bunches of Christmas balls.  When I got home, I figured out that I had bought the wrong kind of wire...it had NO structure to it!  UGH!!  So, my wonderful, smart hubby found some wire in the garage and had to spin the wire using his drill to make it thick enough...it worked great....but that's not all he did.  He also wrapped more wire around the topiary because it didn't have enough surface area to attach the balls to.  So, once we had all that done, I got to attaching the balls.  Of course, I didn't buy enough, so I had to go back to Hob Lob the next week....attached those balls and STILL didn't have enough....went back to Hob Lob another day and finally got the exact amount that I needed!!! So, this "simple" project took about 2 months to finish as I grew tired of it quickly!  However, I am so thrilled with the result....although, the final cost was around $125!!!  I guess I should have stuck with the one at Canton, but now I get to enjoy my own creation....plus Justin even feels a sense of pride when looking at it since he helped.  I didn't guess that he would care so much, but he compliments the tree every time he sees it! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! It looks awesome! I'm so impressed and I think it is even better that you and Justin made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute....I love homemade christmas creations, it makes it so much more special! I've never been to Canton but my mom goes and loves it!

    ReplyDelete