Monday, November 1, 2010

Homemade Fried Rice

Homemade Fried Rice

My bestie, Anna, from We the Gingers stayed with me Thursday and we decided to make our own sushi and fried rice.  She blogged about the sushi and wanted me to blog about the fried rice...so here ya go!!  Check out her blog to see our beautiful, yummy sushi :)

My husband is a GREAT cook, but since I enjoy cooking and he likes my cooking, he doesn't get in there and whip up many meals.  However, he got on this Chinese food kick a while back and he was cooking some kind of Chinese cuisine about once a week, so I was pumped and went out and bought him a $100 wok from Bed, Bath, & Beyond (thanks to a gift certificate left over from the wedding).  By the way, if you're in need of some nice pots/pans, I LOVE the Calphalon non-stick pots from BB&B!!  Anyway, I learned how to make Homemade Fried Rice from him, but of course added my own touch.  Here's how to get it:
Cook 2 cups of white Minute Rice and set aside.  Saute 1 small onion and about 6 cloves of garlic in  about 2 tbsp of oil (I use Canola oil).  Once onions and garlic are tender, set aside in a bowl.  In the same pot or wok, add about 2 tbsp of oil and the veggies.  I used baby corns, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and frozen mixed veggies (carrots, corn, green beans, green peas---you can use whatever mixed veggies you prefer).  Once heated and softened, put aside with the onions and garlic.  Next, crack 1 egg into pot/wok and cook all the way through.  Once egg is done, add the rice, veggies, onion/garlic.  Mix thoroughly with soy sauce...I didn't measure how much I used, but it's up to you how much soy you use.  I like alot and probably used about 1/4 or 1/3 cup, I guess. 
The great thing about fried rice is that you can make it your own and add your favorites!!  Chicken, shrimp, pork, grilled steak, broccoli, mushrooms, etc!!!!

1 comment:

  1. thank you!!! this made my mouth water. it was so good and I can't wait to try it myself. I have a feeling it won't be as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete